U-T San Diego, June 2010 – present
I run a team of business reporters and freelancers for multiple publishing platforms, including digital and TV.
Entrepreneur Media, February 2010-April 2010
Helped create and launch new website — SecondAct.com — aimed at baby boomers.
Chapman University, June 2009 – February 2010
Set up news blog for daily updates/news items. Helped focus university’s social media efforts.
The Orange County Register, 1989 – 2008
Team leader/real estate & growth, August 2005-December 2008
Managed a team of 10 writers for print and web with an emphasis on Orange County real estate. Pushed to automate our Money page section at which increased our page views by 20 percent. Helped launch several blogs, including one on mortgages. Created subprime team to cover meltdown of that industry, which had deep roots in Orange County
Transportation reporter/Business, 2003 to 2005 — Covered range of industries/issues in transportation sector from autos to gasoline to finance.
Personal finance reporter/Business, 1999-2003 – Specialized in explanatory stories that helped consumers navigate credit and debt issues, and investments. Emphasis on interest rates led to a weekly credit-card column and what amounted to a second beat on mortgages, coordinated with real-estate reporter. Helped expand quarterly finance call-ins to include face-to-face meetings between financial experts and readers. Wrote weekly money Q&A/column.
General assignment/Business, 1998-1999 – Handled a variety of assignments from monthly jobless report to stock spotlights of Orange County companies to lead writer of annual executive pay survey.
Desk experience: Wire editor for business and news; copy editor
Austin American Statesman, Austin, Texas
- Layout/copy editor, 1986-1989 – Handled design of metro section, including city front and state page. Other times in charge of lay out of inside section of national/world news. Headline writer/copy editing for metro and news.
- 2012 Kiplinger Fellow (May)
- 2012 Loeb judge (prelims)
- 2011 SABEW winner for Best in Business my first full year at U-T San Diego. (Went from having no daily standalone to a 7-day week section in addition to moving business team onto the web.
- Nevada Fellow (formerly Davenport Program at University of Missouri) 1996
- Dow Jones Newspaper Fund minority copy editing internship ( Austin) 1986
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio: Bachelor degree in Journalism/minor in Political Science 1986